Apply for Unemployment Benefits
Apply for unemployment benefits online at the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) website (aquí en español) or by calling the TWC Tele-Center at 800.939.6631. Hours are now 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., 7 days a week. The website is available 24/7.
You will need the following:
- Last employer's business name and address
- First and last dates (month, day and year) you worked for your last employer
- Number of hours worked and pay rate if you worked this week (including Sunday)
- Information related to your normal wage
- Alien Registration Number (if not a U.S. citizen or national)
If you recently lost your job due to the economic disruptions of COVID-19 or changes in the economy, we can help. Workforce Solutions Alamo can assist you in finding a new job or training for a higher-skilled role in a new occupation.
Contact your nearest Career Center location to make an appointment and learn more.
210.822.7640 | Email WSA Walzem
4615 Walzem Road, Suite 100 • San Antonio, TX 78218
210.436.0670 | Email WSA Marbach
7008 Marbach Road • San Antonio, TX 78227
- E. Houston
210.581.0190 | Email WSA E. Houston
4535 E. Houston Street • San Antonio, TX 78220
- S. Flores
210.928.3985 | Email WSA S. Flores
6723 S. Flores Street, Ste. 100 • San Antonio, TX 78221
210.438.0581 | Email WSA Datapoint
3652 Bluemel Road • San Antonio, TX 78229
The WSA YouTube channel features step by step tutorial videos to help you access a variety of resources including:
- Applying for unemployment benefits
- Registering for Work in Texas
Other WSA Resources
View tutorial videos and guides from TWC.
Applying for Unemployment and the Effects of the Federal CARES Act
View large version of flowchart(JPG, 3MB)
TWC Ombudsman Contact
For information and complaint resolution regarding all TWC services, contact the TWC Ombudsman:
Training for Job Success
The DHS Training for Job Success Program provides job training support for eligible residents working to pursue a new career in a high demand occupation.
The program assist individuals living in poverty who want to achieve financial self-sufficiency through education and training that leads to gainful employment in high-demand occupations such as nurses, dental assistants, computer systems analysts, HVAC technicians, aircraft mechanics, and electricians.
Work supports include:
- Full tuition assistance at Alamo Colleges
- Textbook purchase assistance
- Regular check-ins to overcome barriers to your success
For more information call 210.207.5929
* signifies that services are being offered remotely
Local Non-Profits can assist you with job training, resume assistance, financial literacy, GED, and other support services. Services are provided at no cost.
- Chrysalis Ministries*
- Provides job placement services and job readiness workshops to formerly incarcerated individuals and families affected by incarceration by phone and through video technology. Wrap around services available upon request.
Contact: 210.299.4540 | Email Chrysalis Ministries
- Dress for Success & Career Gear San Antonio*
- Currently available for individual consultation appointments for career coaching, resumes development, mock interviews and workplace problem solving by phone.
Contact: 210.737.1515 | Contact Dress for Success & Career Gear
- Family Service*
- Assists low-income individuals by providing them access and support towards completion of GED and/or Job Training – by phone, email, and text. Readily provides wrap-around services and financial literacy assistance upon request.
Contact: 210.299.2400 | Contact Family Service
- Providing help with referrals to partner agencies and enrollment in job training as available. Job training is available tuition-free for high demand occupational programs. Services are being provided by phone, email, text and video.
Contact: 210.924.8581 | Contact Goodwill
- Project QUEST*
- Provides expert case management/career coaching for enrollment in college or in-demand certifications that offer a living wage, benefits and a career path. Assistance with tuition payments and wrap-around services available upon request.
Contact: 210.630.4690 | Contact Project QUEST
- Restore Education*
- Offering several programs, from basic literacy and high school equivalency preparation, to workforce training and college entrance support. Provides a flexible, and individualized model, so that students are placed on a pathway to life-sustaining careers. Wrap -services available upon request. All service delivery is carried out through technology.
Contact: 210.432.6123 | Contact Restore Education
- San Antonio College (SAC) Empowerment Center--Seguir Adelante Adult Learning Academy*
- Provides free GED classes and basic skill enhancement through online video and learning activities. Provides caring and supportive case management for access to college enrollment and community referrals for no-income and low-income residents. Career coaching and job placement assistance are offered along as well as supportive services which are available upon request/availability. Check-out the chat box for more information about services.
Contact: 210.486.0455 | Contact SAC Empowerment Center
- SA Hope Center*
- Weekly Emergency Food Assistance Drive-Thru available. Offering job placement assistance and one-on-one resume and employment skill development through effective case management. Works with the homeless, school-age parents, Spanish-only speakers, and elderly low-income residents. Provides additional emergency assistance upon request.
Contact: 210.732.3776 | Contact SA Hope Center
- Workforce Solutions Alamo (WSA)*
- If you recently lost your job due to the economic disruptions of COVID-19 or changes in the economy, we can help. Workforce Solutions Alamo can assist you in finding a new job or training for a higher-skilled role in a new occupation. Access to our Career Centers has been modified to be by appointment only. We are no longer serving walk-in clients. We encourage you to contact your local Career Center via phone.
Local Training Providers
- Alamo Colleges*
- The Alamo Colleges District is a collective of five colleges in the Greater San Antonio area preparing students for the workforce and building futures.
- Open Cloud Academy
- In as little as 13 weeks, take your career to new heights and advance your technical knowledge and expertise. With boot camp style technical training from the Open Cloud Academy, get hands-on with technology and build confidence to enter the IT workforce.
- Training for Job Success
- The DHS-Training for Job Success Program provides long-term case management services to Bexar County residents.
Online Resources Free for Residents
Bexar County's BiblioTech is the first all-digital public library in the United States. Library membership is free to all Bexar County residents. Access to the digital collection is available 24/7. Membership through BiblioTech provides free access to:
- Lynda.com is an online learning platform that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.
- Mango prepares learners for realistic conversations and communication in over 70 world languages.
- Learn from over 1,000 videos created by expert teachers on web design, coding, business, and much more. After watching the video, you can practice what you've learned through quizzes and interactive Code Challenges. Finally, earn badges that indicate what skills you’ve learned.
- Universal Class
- Over 500 CEU courses covering 30 subject areas, including personal finance, pet care, career training, health and GED preparation, with professional instructors who provide grading and feedback to track your learning process.
San Antonio Public Library
San Antonio Public Library locations are currently closed but there are some online resources available:
- Online Career Center
- Need someone to look over your résumé and provide some pointers? Maybe you need a little coaching to prepare for a job interview? The specialists at the online Career Center are standing by. In addition to offering résumé and interview help, they can also help with GED preparation. Live, online assistance is available every day from 10:00 a.m. to midnight. You can also access online interview tips, résumé templates and links to local job search sites any time.
- Online Homework Help
- Wish you had someone to explain that grammar rule or walk you through that math question? Tutors are online, ready to provide elementary, high school, and college level help with math, science, English, and social studies. Hours are 3:00 p.m. to midnight daily and Spanish-speaking tutors are available. You can also access practice lessons, worksheets, study guides and videos 24/7.
Other Free Online Resources
- Khan Academy
- We’re a nonprofit with the mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
- Alison offers over 1000 free online courses across nine distinct categories. The types of courses across the categories include: Certificate Courses, Diploma Courses and Learning Paths.
- Grow with Google
- Free training, tools, and resources to help you grow your skills, career, or business.
- Tech Talent Central
- Connecting people to opportunity in the tech sector in San Antonio. Tech Talent Central's Facebook page features links to resources and live streams.