SAT Response to COVID-19
Fly Safe. Fly Confident. Fly San Antonio
We know that our passengers have questions about how COVID-19 is impacting the airport and what SAT is doing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The safety and well-being of our passengers and employees is our number-one priority.
To ensure that passengers feel confident while traveling, SAT joined the Greater. SAfer. Together. pledge (in accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance) aims to protect the health and safety of employees and customers and instill community confidence.
What is SAT doing to protect passengers and employees?
- Face Coverings - Everyone is required to wear a face covering on airport property, per federal law.
- Frequent Cleaning and Disinfecting - Frequent cleaning practices continue in all public spaces and restrooms. and additional hand sanitizers were installed throughout the airport.
- Protective Shields - Plastic Shields are installed in high-traffic areas, including ticket counters, retail shops and restaurants.
- Social Distancing - Signage and floor markings throughout the terminal will give guidance on six-foot distancing in common areas.
- Reconfigured Seating - Furniture in gate areas, food courts and baggage claim are being removed or re-positioned to allow for social distancing.
- Xenex LightStrike Robot - SAT is the first airport in the world to purchase and deploy the Xenex LightStrike robot – the only ultraviolet (UV) room disinfection technology proven to deactivate SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
COVID-19 Testing: Find a Testing Location in Bexar County
Social Distancing Efforts
Working with TSA, we have made some adjustments to the lines as you approach the security checkpoints to provide more space between lines of passengers. To provide additional space between the passengers in front of you and behind you, we ask everyone to practice social distancing and spread out rather than crowd other passengers nearby. Additionally, footprint markers have been placed on the floor near ticket counters, information booths and in other areas of queueing to indicate where people should stand.
Face Covering Required at SAT
TSA requires proper wearing of face masks, per federal law.
Face masks are to be worn at all times. Failure to comply will result in denial of entry to the screening area, and may result in penalties.
Stay Healthy. Stay Secure. Find more information on the TSA website.
The airport remains open and flights are arriving and departing daily. However, airlines have drastically reduced their flight schedules, so we encourage passengers to check directly with their airline regarding flight status and face mask requirements.
Real ID Enforcement
The October 1, 2020, deadline for REAL ID has been delayed to October 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Arriving from an International Flight
Tips on what it’s like to travel through Customs at SAT with new health safety measures in place.
Llegando de un vuelo internacional - español
COVID-19 Testing Requirements for International Passengers
All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board a flight to the United States.
For the full list of requirements and exemptions, please review guidance from the CDC:
TSA Security Procedures
Travelers should expect to:
- Keep possession of their boarding passes.
- Separate food for X-ray screening.
- Pack smart (avoid prohibited items).
- Practice social distancing.
- All travelers must wear masks that cover both the mouth and nose.
Healthy Traveler Tips
When traveling, especially internationally, make sure you take the following steps to be proactive, prepared and protected when it comes to your health and the health of others.
Travel safe, travel smart, and arrive healthy. Help stop the spread of germs before you fly.
Tips For Ensuring You Stay Healthy When You Travel
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of your used tissue.
- Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- Wash hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds OR clean with alcohol-based hand cleaner.
For more healthy travel tips visit the CDC Travel Website.
Dining and Shopping at SAT
Many of SAT’s retail shops and restaurants have made changes to their operations. Some have reduced their operating hours, some have closed temporarily, and others remain open with a focus on more takeout options to serve our passengers and employees who do not have anywhere else to purchase food. The airport has asked every retail outlet to maintain social distancing.
View the complete list of open concessions.
Rental Car Facilities
Our Rental Car Facility is open for business with reduced hours of operation to serve travelers. View Rental Car Facilities schedule.
- The San Antonio International Airport Ambassador Program initiated a limited return of the volunteers on 6/16/2020.
- 23 Ambassadors volunteered 100 hours during peak volume periods the first week.
- Our Pups and Planes therapy dog program has been suspended until further notice.
- Individually-packaged masks are available at no cost and being distributed by SAT Ambassadors upon request.
Parking at SAT
Currently, SAT’s garage parking, Long Term and Short Term, are open. The Long Term garage rate is $14 (4-24 hrs.)
As of Monday, April 6, 2020 - SAT's shuttle buses to the Economy Green lot are temporarily discontinued. Our partners at Airport Security Park have willingly agreed to transport any returning passengers to the Economy Green lot.
Once you board the yellow Airport Security Parking shuttle, please tell the driver you parked in the airport's Economy Green lot.
Valet Parking has been suspended until further notice.
Public Parking Information
If you are unable to return to SAT as planned due to COVID-19 and have questions about your vehicle that is currently parked in a SAT parking lot, call 210.207.3465 with the following information:
- Phone number
- Vehicle make, model, color and license plate #
- Lot your vehicle is parked in
- Date parked
- Original return date
- New return date (if known)
- Your question/concern
Responses will occur during normal business hours between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.